VP of Finance and Operations
Part time, 12-18 hours per week
PENCIL’S TEAM VALUES:
Our work is guided by the needs of Metro Nashville Public Schools, is student centric, and is achieved through partnerships and tangible engagements.
As the PENCIL team, we will:
The Accounting Assistant supports the Finance and Accounting functions for PENCIL and the non-profit organizations for which PENCIL provides fiscal services. Responsibilities are both very detail-oriented and time sensitive. Ability to quickly take direction, pay close attention to detail, and execute tasks independently are critical to success in this role. This position is integral to the high-functioning of PENCIL’s VP of Finance and Operations.
- Be collaborative and transparent
- Act with integrity
- Demonstrate kindness and gratitude
- Enter AP invoices into accounting software
- Print and prepare checks for signature
- Prepare checks to be mailed
- Enter deposits into accounting software
- Enter month-end journal entries per instructions
- Reconcile credit card statement monthly
- Assist with monthly bank reconciliations
- Assist with audit preparation
- Review and correct data entry to ensure 100% accuracy
- Email accounting client weekly with transaction reports
- Assist with filing and organization of financial records
- Assist with special financial projects, spreadsheets, and compiling reports as requested
ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS & PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
- EDUCATION – completion or partial completion of Associate’s or Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or Finance is preferred
- SKILLS –
- Competency in Microsoft applications including Word, Excel, and Outlook
- Competency in accounting software, Abila MIP Fund Accounting a plus
- Ability to prioritize multiple tasks and hit deadlines
- Able to work independently and proactively without daily instruction
- Organized and able to keep accurate and detailed documentation
- KNOWLEDGE & EXPERIENCE
- 1+ years of experience in a similar role preferred
- Familiarity with non-profit fund accounting considered a plus
- Must have working knowledge of general accounting principles, accounts payable, accounts receivables, and journal entries
- CONFIDENTIALITY – ability to manage sensitive information in a professional and confidential manner as outlined in PENCIL’s Confidentiality Policy
WORK SCHEDULE & HOURS:
- Moderate physical activity performing somewhat strenuous daily activities of a primarily administrative nature.
- Manual dexterity sufficient to reach/handle items, works with the fingers, and perceives attributes of objects and materials.
- The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
- The employee is required to stand, walk, climb and balance.
This position will regularly be scheduled to work 12-18 hours each week, over a period of 3-4 days a week. Schedule flexibility is available on an as-needed basis.
This job profile is not intended to be all inclusive of tasks required, it is to provide a general description of essential job responsibilities.
PENCIL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, age, protected veteran or disabled status, or genetic information.